Come have FUN with the Conrads!!!

We lean on Jesus as He is our strength for everyday.
1 Peter 4:11 Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Drain the fat?

In regards to browning ground beef I am just curious how folks drain the grease or fat from the beef when you are done and ready to move on to the next step. I remember growing up with a Crisco can you put it into. Though I don't recall how my Mom got it there. And likely it wasn't even a Crisco can.

My percieved problems:
Little grease: Maybe it is b/c I use lean (most of the time) that there isn't much and that is my problem. Some portion of the ground beef seems to fall out.. ugh, now I am wasteful. For sake of time I am not straining it out of the can or sometimes I pour over the trash can b/c there isn't much. That hasn't really gone well yet.
Going going gone: Or I feel it necessary to get every drop out... almost every drop.
I go at it with paper towels in the pan. It seems like too much of a waste to strain the meat or place the meat on paper towels. Though that may be the easiest I have found it doesn't seem to really get all of it. hmm
Safety: Hot grease and pouring into a little can seems tricky. Then do you clean the can out to recycle it??? someone green help me! I learned not to pour it down the drain for fear of clogging the pipes.
Time: I am always in a rush to get out of the kitchen. Just tell me what is quickest with optimal results. I am not aiming for perfection really.
Health: Anything is better than leaving it all in the pan. Though I have done this a time or so b/c I just didn't want to take the time, then I have guilt of passing to my family the worst possible kind of fat.

Please advise :)

6 comments:

Abby and Jacob said...

Ha ha! I love the question b/c I'm sure we all struggle with it, but never think to ask anyone. Personally, I do the big no no and pour it down the drain. I get the water running really hot, then pour it down while its running, then let the water run for a little while to flush it out. My mom even follows it with dish soap, but I have my doubts about that helping. If your back yard permits you can always put it there - the redneck way! But as a vet I always think of the poor animals that I am giving diarrhea after they eat it. Anyway, we have lived here for 8 years with no clogged drains and my mom has done it her whole life. I think the proper way is to collect it, then trash it, but that sounds like too much trouble for me.

Clifton said...

If it's not a lot of fat, continue to cook it until it disappears. It's not actually burning - it's caramelizing and enhances the flavor. I learned about this on a cooking show and from my mom.

Teri said...

Haha! Well I do the big no no and just use the collander/strainer and then let it drain down the sink. I know it is "bad" but we use the extra lean natural beef too and so it really isn't that much. We also have some great stuff our eco friendly plumber gave us that you put in your sinks once a month and it is supposed to prevent probs. It is "green" and environmentally friendly somehow.

I think as busy us working moms are that a little grease down the drain is A ok and it is way more "green" then using cans etc and making more trash, right? =)

heene said...

one way to do it is to put the styrofoam carton that the meat came in in the sink, then put the colander on the styrofoam and press it down with a wooden spoon. I then let the grease cool down a little before I trash it. My mom used to just lay the styrofoam on the top of the trash and strain it straight into the trash can.

Unknown said...

I use the extra lean ground beef and there is usually not enough to even worry about. When I use the regular stuff, or there happens to be more, I have been known to pour it down the sink with the water running, although have been told by the plumber that this is bad for the septic tank.

Julie said...

well I am sure you all won't be surprised, but I usually do it the "redneck way". I dig the last can I can find out of the trash can, which is difficult to do b/c I recycle all of my cans. so, I have to hike outside to the bin, get a can, hike back inside and drain it then it tends to sit on the bannister on our porch for a day or so until finally I take it out and dump it in the woods. you heard that right? I do it. I like to leave it there just to see how long it'll sit there until I can't take it anymore. I have put it down the drain before but I cringe as it flows down. it is so bad for the drains. thanks for bringing this to our attention Suzanne.. you are trying to save the world one problem at a time. hee- hee