Come have FUN with the Conrads!!!

We lean on Jesus as He is our strength for everyday.
1 Peter 4:11 Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Finger Foods

My girls attend a daycare that doesn’t supply meals and no snacks until January for Essie (approx 18 mo).  I have been mentally stretched to come up with foods my sweet ones can eat with their fingers.  At this age (13 mo) they don’t have the capability to feed each child jar food and by no means do they want it (typically).  I still use most of these for Adeline, she just eats hers with a utensil – I hope.  So… here are some of my ideas and I would LOVE to hear some of yours:

  • Chicken patties (soy product)
  • Peas (both girls love to eat these frozen at home, esp when teething)
  • Carrot squares (from the frozen food section)
  • Cottage cheese (one of the first successful spoon foods)
  • Sweet Potato cubed  (my girls don’t seem to eat Idaho, yet love fries – go figure)
  • Quesadilla (chicken or cheese)
  • Olives sliced (they both love putting them on their fingers to eat them – toy and a food)
  • Yogurt (need some help here from the teachers, but typically not for long)
  • Veggies can be cut up: Green beans, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots,
  • Avocado cubed (though this is rejected by my girls at this stage, I keep trying though)
  • Fruits cut up (peaches, banana – I feel like I slow the browning down by leaving as much as possible in the peel with a slice down the center and then peak inside with the crosswise cuts into half coins, grapes – cut to avoid choking, watermelon, strawberries sliced, honeydew, cantaloupe, kiwi, mandarin oranges – not many due to the acidity and the ease of diaper rash for my girls, pears)
  • Raisins – though not too many for the baby until her system can handle them a bit better
  • Cheese cubes or shredded early on
  • Both my girls like to eat apples whole, though I don’t send it in to school b/c I like to know I am watching them closely.  Both started early.  They just seem drawn to eat that stem.  Once you get them away from that you are all good.  For a little bit anyway.
  • Eggs scrambled seem to do well too. 
  • Egg whites boiled – though this food too is currently snubbed
  • Canned beans: Bakes, Northern, Lima, any I bet
  • Soy Crisps
  • Rice Cakes
  • Gold Fish and any other crackers (cheese filled kind too)
  • Granola bars
  • Fruit filled cereal bars
  • Pasta tubes or corkscrew work best for my two (so yes that includes mac n cheese)
  • Rice
  • Tofu – plain and cubed.  (I need more creativity here)
  • Hot dogs (For Essie I cut them lengthwise twice then crosswise into bitty pieces)
  • Shredded Chicken
  • Shredded or ground Beef  (though not tolerated too well with the little ones)
  • Oatmeal  (when it is cooled it clumps a little and works all the better for a finger food)
  • Dry cereal  (Essie even eats flakes – with only front teeth.  She is dedicated to eating.)
  • Pizza usually goes over well too
  • Mommy wraps:  Tortilla spread with cream cheese to moisten and help keep it closed, sandwich meat and cheese; rolled up then cut into slices and even further into pieces for the bitty one)
  • I have a few of those tubs of food for Esther if I ever run out of ideas and another few of those boxed TV dinner type meals with a veggie and main dish.  Both get eaten without being warmed.  Their favorites are the Gerber Ravioli. 

Maybe I should have done my I prefer to feed them list and then a last resort gotta get something in their box to feed them list.  After looking over that list I wonder why do I seem to act like this is difficult.  Just so you know we are going on day 7 of turkey and cheese.  Not really, but poor Adeline has had her strings of what we call “mommy wraps”.

Does anyone feed their little ones soy beans.  Do you cut them in half?  They seem to me to be the choking hazard size.  I really would love more ideas :)

5 comments:

meme said...

I don't have any ideas....but, it makes me wonder what I fed Bryan and Annie....I KNOW it didn't include most of these items....of course, back then, we used Peanut butter as a staple!! :) I'm always impressed with how well you feed your family!! :)

Katie said...

Like I said, where do you have the time & energy!! Thanks for the list. I've tried chickpeas once but I think he was sick and wouldn't have eaten them anyway so we'll try again. Love the mommy wrap idea and the secret ingredient (cream cheese). I tried one before knowing about cream cheese but couldn't get Luke to eat it, now I know.

Teri said...

THANKS!! As a newbie at Sonshine it has been a challenge to come up with healthy lunches for him. We have done a lot of soy chicken nuggets and dogs with fruit and peas and such. He isn't a big sandwich eater so excited to try the secret cream cheese idea. Do you just use plain? I have the SAME issue with avocado cubes, he won't touch them anymore! I have several suggestions/questions so going to email you as this is getting long. =) THANKS AGAIN!

Abby and Jacob said...

Sounds to me like you have a pretty great list. I keep being surprised by how complicated all of this is and I wonder how people who dont really care do this! My mom says they just fed us any and everything without much worry. There were no rules.

Suzanne said...

Awe to Meme; Katie I keep telling you - no sleep gives you lots of time (I'm just a little -grrr - grumpy till 8pm). Yes, plain cream cheese Teri. And in response to Abby: Would you say that knowledge (healthy v unhealthy) created for us responsibility or unbearable guilt?