Come have FUN with the Conrads!!!

We lean on Jesus as He is our strength for everyday.
1 Peter 4:11 Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Empanadas

So I had the night off.  All to my self.  Bryan and the girls headed to the river with the rest of the Conrad and Overman’s.  So what does a Mama of 2 little ones do.  Manicure – no, Pedicure – no, Mani-Pedi – no.  I cook. Why you ask; I don’t have a clue.  Cooking isn’t my passion.  Eating maybe – ha!  But I have been wanting to make some tasty treats called Empanadas for probably a year or longer.  Where did this come from.  I have only had them once.  Yes once I tell you.  However, whenever I see them I really want them in my belly.  But usually when they are available to me so are many other tasty good things that are not in my normal diet and they look like healthier options.

So for tonight… empanadas. 

The filling (meat, onions, peppers, green olives, raisins, honey, cumin, salt and pepper):IMG_3176

The wrap around (pie crust – remember cooking is not my passion and I am scared of frying and the dangers involved – fire, burns, etc):

IMG_3178

The final product (after 2 plus hours due to my inexperience with cooking):

IMG_3179

I did learn I really should have covered the tops of them in the egg wash.  My fear of having egg globed on them prevented the perfect browning – oh well!

Now after a great night sleep… I am heading out to the river to catch up with my family and have some fun in the sun.

2 comments:

meme said...

Well....I'm grateful that Suzanne wanted to spend her 'free' time making Empanadas....because, I got to eat some of them!! YUM-YUM!! They were delicious.... I even ate up the last one, as we were cleaning up the kitchen!!! :) PS...you ARE a great cook!!

Teri said...

So empanadas are my guilty pleasure and nobody knows about it, figured how best to announce it than on your blog comments. ha ha. Seriously though, Gloria taught me how to make some yummy not so healthy ones using guava paste and queso blanco and some flaky columbian shells and oh my goodness my mouth is watering just telling you about them. They take about 8 to 10 min to make and they are so good and so fattening. I eat about 10 every time, no joke. And I wonder why my clothes no longer fit me?? You should totally bring some to our next get together! hint hint I could learn to make HEALTHY ones from you!